Heart Health Tips
Mythology from every ancient culture features a god or goddess of love to help explain matters of the heart. Researchers learned in 2009 by studying ancient Egyptian mummies that, while people thousands of years ago were trading stories of love, they battled what is now the leading cause of death in the United States: heart disease.
Fortunately, doctors in 2019 know how to protect your heart. Here are five ways you can use your Local 94 health plan to your heart’s advantage:
- Watch your blood pressure and cholesterol. Make sure you complete your low-cost annual physical. Heart conditions are more treatable when caught early.
- Quit smoking. Tobacco use raises your blood pressure, quickens your heart rate, and prevents your heart from getting the oxygen it needs to work. Your body starts to recover just minutes after you stop smoking, and within one year, your risk of heart disease decreases.
- Get moving! Every hour you spend exercising could increase your life expectancy by two hours. Aerobic activity improves circulation, controls weight and lowers blood pressure.
- Eat your vegetables. Don’t feed them to the dog. Foods high in fiber, like fruits and vegetables, lower your cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acids found in nuts, oils and fish are especially important to prevent blood clots.
- Know your family history. Every participant should take advantage of the low-cost diagnostic screenings for diabetes and cholesterol, two leading causes of heart disease. But, your risk is even higher if your family has a history of heart disease. Talk to your doctor to discuss preventative options.
Need to Find a Doctor, Dentist or Vision Specialist?
It is my money. Why can’t I just take it?
The Sick Fund is a benefit covered by the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, and the rules of the Fund must be followed. Upon leaving covered employment, a member may file a claim for any unused benefit remaining in his/her account.