National Children’s Dental Health Month
National Children’s Dental Health Month is designed to raise awareness about the importance of oral health. Despite the fact that it’s almost entirely preventable, tooth decay is the most common chronic disease in children.
The good news is there are safe and effective preventive measures that can protect teeth. Good oral hygiene practices such as thorough brushing with a fluoride toothpaste can help keep children from getting cavities. In addition, dental sealants and community water fluoridation are two other strategies that can help prevent tooth decay.
Here are some tips for helping your kids keep their teeth healthy:
- Lead by example. Kids like to imitate their parents, so demonstrate good oral health habits for them. Brush and floss with your kids.
- Get regular checkups. Visit the dentist twice a year. You should start within six months of your child’s first tooth or their first birthday, whichever comes first, and then go two times per year after that.
- Eat healthy foods. Avoid sugary drinks and foods. When sugar is allowed to sit on your teeth, it can lead to decay.
- Brush twice a day for at least two minutes. You can use a timer. There are also smart toothbrushes and apps to make brushing more fun.
- Floss daily (when age appropriate). Flossing removes food and plaque from between your teeth, which helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
Learn more about your Local 94 dental benefits.
Need to Find a Doctor, Dentist or Vision Specialist?
How should I invest my account?
Local 94 and the Affiliated Funds staff cannot offer any investment advice. However, you are encouraged to call JW Thompson for personalized investment advice for your Annuity Fund account. You can get an analysis of your finances plus guidance on how to save and invest for retirement. Contact Retire Rite, administered by JW Thompson, by calling (888) 453-1869, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET, or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.